Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: The Name of God  (Read 3367 times)

JoshuaStone7

The Name of God
« on: November 18, 2021, 01:02:47 PM »
Who is God/Elohim in the Bible?

"Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?” Exe 3:13

"God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am sent me to you.’ ” Exe 3:14

When God speaks of his own name, he says:

EH·WEH - I am who I am

The letters EH represent the word I.

When we speak God's name, we say He, which is the Hebrew word YA. Therefore we say, "He is" when saying the name of God YA-WEH. Only Elohim can say EH-WEH, for it means "I am."

"God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The Lord (YA-WEH), the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you." Ex 3:15

Moses didn't go to the Israelites and say, "I am sent me." He, in fact, said, "He is has sent me."

Joshua
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 01:58:57 PM by JoshuaStone7 »

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
Re: The Name of God
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 01:50:36 PM »

"Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?” Exe 3:13

"God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am sent me to you.’ ” Exe 3:15

EH·WEH - I am who I am

When we speak God's name, we say He, which is the Hebrew word YA. Therefore we say, "He is" when saying the name of God YA-WEH. Only Elohim can say EH-WEH, for it means "I am."

"God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The Lord (YA-WEH), the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you." Ex 3:15

Moses didn't go to the Israelites and say, "I am sent me." He, in fact, said, "He is has sent me."

Joshua

I've always taken this (both the explanation of the 'name' in v14, which is mislabeled above, and the 'name' in v15) as an answer that isn't the answer Moses was maybe looking for.

As you note, given the nature of Hebrew, 'Eh-yeh asher Eh-yeh' could be taken a few ways: I am, I was, I will be, etc. I don't think, though, that this is a name as much as it's a way of conveying the awesomeness of God, which is an awesomeness that cannot be named: He is, but He also was, but He also will be. This isn't a name in the way that we would think of a name.

Burning bush, hey, what's your name?
I exist/I existed/I will exist

That's God as other at His most awesome.

So God says 'I am', and we would say 'He is'. It's a shift in perspective; from the first person to the third person (v15 following). It's more a description than a name, I think. At least, that's how I take it.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

JoshuaStone7

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 02:11:05 PM »
I've always taken this (both the explanation of the 'name' in v14, which is mislabeled above, and the 'name' in v15) as an answer that isn't the answer Moses was maybe looking for.

Sometimes I think I have some kind of number inversion tendency or something...lol Thank you for the correction.

As you note, given the nature of Hebrew, 'Eh-yeh asher Eh-yeh' could be taken a few ways: I am, I was, I will be, etc. I don't think, though, that this is a name as much as it's a way of conveying the awesomeness of God, which is an awesomeness that cannot be named: He is, but He also was, but He also will be. This isn't a name in the way that we would think of a name.

So God says 'I am', and we would say 'He is'. It's a shift in perspective; from the first person to the third person (v15 following). It's more a description than a name, I think. At least, that's how I take it.

Well said. The context of the conversation was more of who God is rather than a name.

Placing the conversation in the time of Moses, it seems it was a way to separate Himself from the lifeless gods of the time, setting Himself apart as the God that is unto the Israelites, the eternal and only true God.

Joshua

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 09:31:44 PM »

"God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am sent me to you.’ ” Exe 3:15

EH·WEH - I am who I am

Joshua

My brother, who knows Hebrew at least some, whereas I know none, would at least partly agree with this. ...I think. Anyway, I do think Moses wanted a name--not just a concept. But in may ways, asking God for His name is like asking for a concept--what kind of God is He, and what distinguishes Him from other so-called gods?

Well, like is being said, "He is." In other words, what distinguishes Him is the fact He really exists whereas all of the other so-called gods don't.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 10:36:34 PM by RandyPNW »

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 03:37:05 AM »

EH·WEH - I am who I am

Joshua

My brother, who knows Hebrew at least some, whereas I know none, would at least partly agree with this. ...I think. Anyway, I do think Moses wanted a name--not just a concept. But in may ways, asking God for His name is like asking for a concept--what kind of God is He, and what distinguishes Him from other so-called gods?

Well, like is being said, "He is." In other words, what distinguishes Him is the fact He really exists whereas all of the other so-called gods don't.

Right - Moses asked for a name, God answered but didn't give him quite that. This is who I am vs. this is what I'm called. What's more important, that we know who God is or that we know what God calls Himself?

Burning bush, what's your name?
Bro, if I listed all my names you'd be dead before I got half way through.

JoshuaStone7

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 05:07:09 PM »

Agreed...

And to Randy's point: It would appear the only thing Moses could take to the Israelites was the knowledge of who sent him. And that was "He is," the God that exists. All the gods of the time had names; however, none were alive. So, in reality, there could not have been a more brilliant response on behalf of God, no?

Joshua

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 12:11:47 AM »

Agreed...

And to Randy's point: It would appear the only thing Moses could take to the Israelites was the knowledge of who sent him. And that was "He is," the God that exists. All the gods of the time had names; however, none were alive. So, in reality, there could not have been a more brilliant response on behalf of God, no?

Joshua

I would never question God's "brilliance," but I would have to say that God was just being honest. ;)

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 06:25:13 AM »
After 400 years of prophesied captivity, "I Am" should carry heavy significance to those in bondage. The self existent one - existence personified (?) - who is the God of their fathers,  has heard their pleas for deliverance.

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 10:43:28 PM »
After 400 years of prophesied captivity, "I Am" should carry heavy significance to those in bondage. The self existent one - existence personified (?) - who is the God of their fathers,  has heard their pleas for deliverance.

Interesting, and dramatic, way of putting it. Totally agree!

JoshuaStone7

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 11:01:46 PM »
"I Am" should carry heavy significance to those in bondage.

I know it's a technicality; but, YHWH told Moses to tell the Israelites "He is" (YA-WEH) had sent him. YHWH calls himself "I am" (EH·WEH). So Moses told the Israelis '"He is" sent me.'

Anyway, all love...

Joshua
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 11:22:15 PM by JoshuaStone7 »

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 02:19:52 AM »
"I Am" should carry heavy significance to those in bondage.

I know it's a technicality; but, YHWH told Moses to tell the Israelites "He is" (YA-WEH) had sent him. YHWH calls himself "I am" (EH·WEH). So Moses told the Israelis '"He is" sent me.'

Anyway, all love...

Joshua

Truly a technicality as the semantic meaning is the same.

JoshuaStone7

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 02:54:06 PM »

Agreed, other than when explaining to someone the meaning of YHWH, or speaking about Him. I often hear Christians saying, "I Am" said this or that. Where if one would like to use correct vocabulary, one would say "He Is" said this or that, just as God directed Moses.

Is there a difference? Yes. Does it matter? Probably not...lol

In my humble opinion of course...

Joshua

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 03:07:07 PM »

Agreed, other than when explaining to someone the meaning of YHWH, or speaking about Him. I often hear Christians saying, "I Am" said this or that. Where if one would like to use correct vocabulary, one would say "He Is" said this or that, just as God directed Moses.

Joshua

I am
He is
Existence is not a real predicate

Er, Kant shows up when you least expect him.

But no, I agree with what you're saying. The speaker says "I am", and the hearer reports "He is". Although if someone wanted to say something like, "He is the great I am" then I'll nod and smile.

RandyPNW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 12:13:23 AM »

Joshua

I am
He is

But no, I agree with what you're saying. The speaker says "I am", and the hearer reports "He is". Although if someone wanted to say something like, "He is the great I am" then I'll nod and smile.

It may be something like He--God.  It may be like identifying "He" with "God." Perhaps like a room full of idols and Jesus standing among them, and then pointing at Jesus and saying, "He God."

Athanasius

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 08:47:22 AM »

Joshua

I am
He is

It may be something like He--God.  It may be like identifying "He" with "God." Perhaps like a room full of idols and Jesus standing among them, and then pointing at Jesus and saying, "He God."

I'm not sure I quite follow; it's a matter of grammar:

'I am' is something a person would say when talking about themselves. It's first-person.
'He is' is something a person would say when talking about another. It's third-person.

There's also the descriptive, 'He is the great I AM'. Here we see 'He is' used as a reference rather than a 'name'. This is likely why it seems awkward for us to talk about God as the 'He is' rather than the 'I am'. We do sing that way in worship, though.

In all cases, the meaning seems to be something like, "the self-existent one". It's the same self-description we read in Revelation 22.13 "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End". Said another way, Revelation 22.13 reads "I am". Where's Mr antiTrinity when you need him?

Recent Topics

Watcha doing? by tango
Yesterday at 10:48:32 PM

Israel, Hamas, etc by tango
Yesterday at 10:43:20 PM

The New Political Ethos by IMINXTC
May 07, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

Lemme see if I have this right by RabbiKnife
May 06, 2024, 02:55:48 PM

Who's Watching? by Fenris
May 05, 2024, 02:58:55 PM

who is this man? by Fenris