Psalms 107:2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

Please invite the former BibleForums members to join us. And anyone else for that matter!!!

Contact The Parson
+-

Author Topic: Faith and peace  (Read 937 times)

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
Faith and peace
« on: February 06, 2024, 06:14:21 AM »
Is faith actual or only potential in the absence of peace in the inner man?

Said another way.  Can one claim to truly have faith in a then present subjective experience of anxiety or fear of loss? 
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
Re: Faith and peace
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 10:26:48 AM »
True faith is an impervious belief in salvation through the risen Christ, and an unwavering trust in His ability to keep and preserve us in the midst of adversity. Faith is not diminished by fear and anxiety experienced due to detrimental conditions and circumstances, but prevails over all things.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or distress or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36As it is written: “For Your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”

37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor principalities, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. (Palms 34:4)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 10:34:27 AM by Sojourner »
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

RabbiKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 10:39:38 AM »
All very true.

Does that have (or should it have) any impact on our faith in relation to discerning and doing the will of God?

Can we have faith that we are indeed doing God’s will if we are anxious or lacking peace?
Danger, Will Robinson.  You will be assimilated, confiscated, folded, mutilated, and spindled. Do not pass go.  Turn right on red. Third star to the right and full speed 'til morning.

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 11:04:13 AM »
Well Scripture tells us not to fear:

For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. (2 Timothy 1:7)

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. (1 John 4:18)

Negative feelings and emotions are part of humanity, and cannot be denied. Yet, those who trust in God will triumph in spite of them. Even after witnessing the power of God, Elijah was cowering in fear because of Jezebel's threats. Well, she ended up as dog poop. We can but do our utmost to serve God to the best of our ability, and trust that He will give us the ultimate victory.
Standing before the Judgment Throne we will retain only two things from this life: what God gave us, and what we accomplished with it.

IMINXTC

• Time Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 11:25:34 AM »
All very true.

Does that have (or should it have) any impact on our faith in relation to discerning and doing the will of God?

Can we have faith that we are indeed doing God’s will if we are anxious or lacking peace?

"For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me." 2 Corinthians 12:8

A natural anxiety, often in the face of suffering, cannot be denied when seeking to discern God's will for our particular lives. This type of anxiety, rather than an absence of faith, compels us to seek the Lord for direction.

The real problem for the believer is anxiety without direct cause, or, living in unwarranted fear and doubt.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 11:36:23 AM by IMINXTC »

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 12:31:55 PM »
All very true.

"For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me." 2 Corinthians 12:8

A natural anxiety, often in the face of suffering, cannot be denied when seeking to discern God's will for our particular lives. This type of anxiety, rather than an absence of faith, compels us to seek the Lord for direction.

The real problem for the believer is anxiety without direct cause, or, living in unwarranted fear and doubt.

Amen. If we could deal with matters of the flesh on our own, we wouldn't need a Savior.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 11:31:33 AM »
23 And Jesus said to him, “‘If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.”
24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!

----

I wonder why faith is so important for God, perhaps we need it in eternity also?

Sojourner

• New and Improved
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2024, 05:07:52 PM »
I wonder why faith is so important for God, perhaps we need it in eternity also?

Not sure about eternity but faith truly is a critical aspect of one's relationship with God. In Hebrews 11, the "faith chapter", we're told that it's impossible to please God without faith, and that we must believe He exists and is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. (Hebrews 11:6)

We read that Jesus largely ceased doing miracles altogether in Nazareth because so few there believed in Him:
(Matt 13:53-58)

We know Peter was able to walk on the water toward Jesus because he believed he could, but started to sink when he doubted, after focusing on  the circumstances around him instead of on the Lord. (Matt 14:25-31)

The woman with the issue of blood was healed through faith without any active intervention by Jesus, just by believing she would be healed by touching His garment. (Luke 8:40-48)

A centurion's servant was healed without Jesus even seeing him because the centurion believed Jesus had only to speak the word (Matt 8:5-13).

Faith seems to be like a spiritual conduit for accessing God's power and presence, sort of the way power lines bring power to us from the grid. Like a light bulb, we cannot fulfill the purpose for which we were created without being connected to our power source.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 05:35:51 PM by Sojourner »

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 06:09:04 AM »
23 And Jesus said to him, “‘If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.”
24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!

----

What kind of relationship is it if you don't believe what the other person says, and lack trust, love, etc., with whom you claim to be in relationship with?
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

ProDeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 02:43:46 PM »

----

What kind of relationship is it if you don't believe what the other person says, and lack trust, love, etc., with whom you claim to be in relationship with?

A&E believed God, then the temptation came and their faith in God crumbled. In eternity living in the presence of God (like A&E) and God says: DON'T xyz, we better have learned our lesson.

Athanasius

• Administrator
  • A transitive property, contra mundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2024, 05:22:08 PM »

----

A&E believed God, then the temptation came and their faith in God crumbled. In eternity living in the presence of God (like A&E) and God says: DON'T xyz, we better have learned our lesson.

I suspect we'll also be morally perfect next time around. New creation, and all that.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

Recent Topics

Lemme see if I have this right by ProDeo
Today at 03:35:12 AM

The New Political Ethos by ProDeo
Today at 02:52:08 AM

who is this man? by Fenris
Yesterday at 08:51:19 PM

Watcha doing? by RabbiKnife
May 01, 2024, 03:00:05 PM

Bibleforums.NET by The Parson
April 25, 2024, 09:47:48 AM

How Do I Know God Exists? by Cloudwalker